2018 FEAST OF THE WINTER SOLSTICE
Call to BUILD COMMUNITY ARTWORK
OPENING CIRCLE: SUNDAY DECEMBER 2, 2018, NOON @ POWERHOUSE
WORKSHOPS: DECEMBER 2, 2018- DECEMBER 21, 2018
EVENT DATE: Saturday, December 22, 2018
The Fremont Arts Council invites volunteers to the Powerhouse to create art, decor, headdresses, costumes and other aspects of Feast of the Winter Solstice in a welcoming community environment.
The 2018 Feast of the Winter Solstice will be at The Fremont Abbey and it cannot happen without the energy and input of the FAC family. We have the venue beginning at 7:30 AM the morning of Feast. We only have 9 hours to load in/setup Feast. We will have less time to breakdown/load out/cleanup. Our art must be exquisite yet movable!!!
Working together at the Powerhouse, we intend to design, create and build:
• Feast Headdresses- explore creating new illuminated headdress styles, as well as a display for them the night of Feast
• Costumes- help amp up the pageantry with costumes for the Ritual
• Stage Design- our venue has not one, but two stages. We need to design easy assemble/breakdown scenery to make these spaces amazing.
• Decor- we will need to create centerpieces for the tables, entryway and other areas.
• Light Projections- We have 2 projection screens and plenty of wall and ceiling space.
• Tea House- help create the soothing space where we go to pause and reflect.
• Mandala- come paint our ritual floor cloth
• Ritual- be a part of one of the central parts of Feast
Design criteria to consider this year:
• All art will be created offsite from our Venue.
• We have the venue beginning at 7:30 AM the morning of Feast. We only have 9 hours to load in/setup Feast. We will have less time to breakdown/load out/cleanup. Our art must be exquisite yet movable!!
• Due to fire department regulations: no hanging fabric or paper.
DECOR RULES FROM THE FREMONT ABBEY:
– glitter of any kind
– confetti of any kind
– stickers (name tags ok on approval)
– tape (unless approved, see below)
– sparklers (unless cleanup plan approved)
• Any use of those items may create major messes and can incur Cleaning and Damage Deposit deductions. Thanks! 🙂
• Can we hang/post anything from the walls or ceilings?
Adding nails or tacks is generally a no go but some areas of the building do have bolts, hooks, nails and other attachment points already installed for light-weight items such as christmas lights, string, paper lanterns, etc. Some hooks are rated for higher weights such as curtains, art walls, Dr Seuss characters, etc. (yep, that’s happened!)
• There is only ONE kind of wall-friendly tape that’s okay to use (downstairs only) and it’s the cheap GREEN painters tape (blue can work if taken off very slowly). Please check with us in advance. NO scotch tape, duct tape or anything of that nature on the walls or floor. Gaff tape may be used on the Great Hall floor only.
• 1st floor – green painters tape only – on walls and floors (NO Gaff tape as it removes the cement stain)
• 2nd floor – no tape of any kind on painted walls or in Great hall, ok in lobby, Gaff tape ok on floors
• NOTE: no items of any sort may be attached or leaned near or on the antique stained glass windows in the Great Hall
Want to sign up for a workshop or crew? We’re using Sign Up Genius to make volunteering easy! Go here to sign up! We have open workshop times set up on the Sign Up. Dates and times are subject to change depending on the build and each group’s needs. We encourage you to contact your group’s Lead (if you know who they are) or contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will connect you with the group you are interested in volunteering with.